Our Hiring Process:
Over the past decade or so, Folklore has traditionally operated from four to six camps, ranging in size from twenty to fifty planters each. Our head office does not do the hiring for the camps, instead, this task is delegated to the camp supervisors. Each supervisor oversees from two to six foremen, and works with these foremen to ensure that employees hired will work well together as a cohesive team. Folklore’s camps are usually composed of about seventy to eighty-five percent experienced planters, with a very small (in comparison to the industry in general) percentage of inexperienced planters.
If you wish to apply for a planting position with our company, you may do so either through e-mail or by conventional methods. Listed below will be the information that will be required to ensure that your application receives the attention that it deserves. Applications which are made to our head office are examined and “categorized,” and are then forwarded to one or more of the appropriate supervisors who might be interested in your information.
There is no “best” time to apply. Traditionally, most hiring seems to take place in December, January, and early February for the upcoming summer season. Finding a position in March and April can sometimes be very difficult, so start your job search early! (this applies to any reputable company, although you might be able to get a job with one of the “rookie mills” almost any time throughout the spring). However, you should be aware that crew schedules and logistics can change on a weekly basis as the upcoming season is mapped out, and sometimes a foreman who previously had no openings may suddenly find the need for an extra planter or two at the last minute. Good luck in your search!
How to Apply:
If you wish to apply for a position with Folklore, you should send an application by e-mail to email@example.com, or by surface mail to Personnel Coordinator, c/o Folklore Contracting Ltd., 1077 Eastern Street, Prince George, BC, V2N 5R8. Due to the large number of applications that we receive, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a response to your application. Your application, for maximum effectiveness, should include the following information:
- A brief description (300-500 words) about your personal history. You can tell us about where you were born, places you’ve lived, schools you’ve gone to, hobbies, sports, and previous jobs that you’ve held.
- Why do you want to plant in the upcoming season?
- Why are you specifically interested in working for Folklore Contracting as opposed to any other company?
- Do you know anyone else who works with Folklore? Who?
- For experienced planters: What experience do you have? Give us as much detail as possible. We’d like to know about previous companies you’ve worked for, who your foremen/supervisors were at these companies, and any contracts you’ve worked on (which places, and for which lumber companies or government agencies, if you can remember). What types of ground have you worked? (ie. plant-as-is/raw/unprepped, trenching, ripper plow, donaren or excavator/hoe mounding, drags, burns, etc.). What price ranges did you get for these types of prep? What was your average/high/low daily production?
- How would you classify yourself as a planter? Do you prefer to aim for high or moderate quality? Are you a “highballer” or a “slow and steady” planter? Is high priced, slow ground your preference, or do you like low-priced/fast ground contracts? What are your favorite working conditions, in terms of site prep, weather conditions, slope, terrain, geography, and teamwork vs. solitary work?
- Do you have any medical conditions we should be aware of? Have you ever experienced back, knee, or wrist problems, or any forms of tendonitis?
- Do you have any special certificates or abilities that we should be aware of, such as advanced first aid training, Firearm’s Acquisition/possession Certificates, class four driver’s license (multi-passenger commercial transport), snag faller’s certificate, etc.?
- The above information should be quite sufficient to give us a thorough background on you. If you wish to include a traditional resume with your application, you are more than welcome to, but this is not mandatory. You will find that the above information should be comprehensive enough to be useful in applying to virtually any planting companies in Canada, so feel free to apply to a number of different organizations.
Thank you for your time and interest in learning more about employment opportunities with Folklore Contracting.